Google
 

Friday, April 10, 2009

Humbling Experience

I meant to write this post yesterday, but the day went by quickly.

Yesterday, I had the privilege and honor to help deliver 300 pounds of food and household items to a family in need in my area. One of my friends who was helping told us not to expect emotions or feelings from the family for a variety of reasons.

When we arrived at the home, it seemed like a sad home. A home that was in need of desperate repair. The homeowner, a father on leave from the U.S. Reserves, opened the door and smiled to greet us. Although his eyes looked sad, he managed a smile and a warm welcome. Three friends, the homeowner and I carried the boxes and bags of donated items.

After we about 15 minutes, we were done. He invited us to meet his wife who is recovering and slowly gaining back movement in her body. She was paralyzed and is making a miraculous recovery through their strong belief in their religious faith. Her husband has been unemployed since he came back from the U.S. Reserves to take care of his wife, 24 hours/7 days per week. They have five children, two of them on disability. The wife was working before she came down with an infection, leaving her temporarily paralyzed.

We chitchatted with the family for about 20 more minutes. Then we left. Since I left their home, I have been thinking about them and how we can help them some more. I do know that a local school is having a golf tournament on the family's behalf to help pay for medical bills.

I have been on a "Happy High". I was happy all day yesterday and even today. I haven't felt like that in a very long time.

If you are interested in helping this family, do leave a comment with your email address, and I will get back to you.

No comments:

Fruit Roll-ups

This is awesome!