Google
 

Thursday, May 24, 2007

5K Walk/Run Hospital Event

I just wanted to post that several colleagues and myself completed the 5K event. It was an awesome experience. I love trying something new because it can be a new activity that I may like and continue to do.

For those of you don't know, 5K comes out to about 3.1 miles.

The event took place last Sunday at 8 a.m. It was a nice, breezy and sunny morning. Over 100 people should up for the first annual 5K Walk/Run Hospital event.

I learned several things in doing this:
  • Since I like to write, doing this event reminded me of writing. You need to stay focus and concentrate on what you are doing now.
  • It helps to walk or run with a buddy to help get over the miles or kilometers. You can talk about stuff. Next thing you know, the walk/run is over.
  • You also need discipline. It is easy to quit in the middle of the even, if you are not used to exercising.

After I finished (by the way I placed third in my age category), I felt really energized--I wanted to do it again! I mentioned this to my colleagues. They said it was what runners had a "high", an addiction. That is one of the reasons why some keep doing these types of events and marathons.

This was my first time doing something like this, and it will not be my last time. Not only did I do this for a good cause, I also did it for myself. I gave myself a challenge, and I was able to do it. This will motivate me to stay in better shape (which is necessary for a long and healthy life).

I am truly addicted with the walk/run events. The cool thing about this was medals were given to different age groups. I saw kids as young as 10 and adults as "young" in their 70s. How awesome is that?

No comments:

Fruit Roll-ups

This is awesome!