Google
 

Monday, December 3, 2007

If You Receive, Then You Give

I am always reading to find great ideas while my spouse and I are raising our child. It is not uncommon to see my nose in a parenting magazine or in front of the computer on the Internet.

So imagine my surprise when I read a parenting tip about how some parents teach their children about giving and appreciating their toys while helping others. Are you ready for the wisdom? I thought it was FANTASTIC!

For every new toy your child receives, he or she must donate that same amount of toys to other children less fortunate (with parent permission and supervision). So for example, if your child received two new toys today, then he or she must donate two of their toys. If your child received four toys, then four of their toys are donated.

Be sure to explain to your child where their old toys are going. Be sure to also make sure broken toys are not donated, but thrown out or recycled.

Just yesterday, I did that with my son. He received a set of 12 cars, so he went though his toy box and give me 12 of his toys to be donated to a local organization.

After friends heard what I was doing, they had said to each other, "Isn't *boy child* going to be the neatest person when he grows up?"

I just want my child to be a lover of humanity--that is all.

1 comment:

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sis:

That's such a cool idea :)

Plus it has the added benefit of clearing out the toy box!

Fruit Roll-ups

This is awesome!